rss
twitter

Monday, February 8, 2010

I'd Rather Risk

"There are people who put their dreams in a little box and say, "Yes, I've got dreams, of course I've got dreams." Then they put the box away and bring it out once in a while to look in it, and yep they're still there." ~ Erma Bombeck

I've been thinking a lot today.  Actually I have been thinking a lot over the last year, I'm growing weary of thinking, I am ready for action.  The song RISK by Paul Brandt has been playing in my mind, probably as a subconscious push.   As I type this, I am laughing out loud, because coincidentally the conclusion of the episode of  "House" I'm watching,  is all about taking risks.  It illustrates the point that when we take risks, to do what we know is right, we unleash greatness. This is where I sit, thinking and wondering, about what, when and how to risk in order to fulfill the dreams God has placed in my heart. "Our truest life is when we are in our dreams awake" ~Henry David Thoreau

I've been looking in scripture, and know that I can not bury this passion or the gifts that God has given me.  "Great gifts mean great responsibilities; greater gifts, greater responsibilities!" ~ Luke 12:48.  In fact God does not want us to play it safe, this does not bring Him the honour He is due, help others or even leave us satisfied.  He wants us to trust Him and jump in with both feet in order to achieve all the God placed dreams in our heart. Jesus' parable of the talents found in Matthew 25:14-30 is evidence of this: "It's also like a man going off on an extended trip. He called his servants together and delegated responsibilities. To one he gave five thousand dollars, to another two thousand, to a third one thousand, depending on their abilities. Then he left. Right off, the first servant went to work and doubled his master's investment. The second did the same. But the man with the single thousand dug a hole and carefully buried his master's money. "After a long absence, the master of those three servants came back and settled up with them. The one given five thousand dollars showed him how he had doubled his investment. His master commended him: 'Good work! You did your job well. From now on be my partner.' "The servant with the two thousand showed how he also had doubled his master's investment. His master commended him: 'Good work! You did your job well. From now on be my partner.' "The servant given one thousand said, 'Master, I know you have high standards and hate careless ways, that you demand the best and make no allowances for error. I was afraid I might disappoint you, so I found a good hiding place and secured your money. Here it is, safe and sound down to the last cent.' "The master was furious. 'That's a terrible way to live! It's criminal to live cautiously like that! If you knew I was after the best, why did you do less than the least? The least you could have done would have been to invest the sum with the bankers, where at least I would have gotten a little interest. "'Take the thousand and give it to the one who risked the most. And get rid of this "play-it-safe" who won't go out on a limb. Throw him out into utter darkness.'

C.S. Lewis said that too often we're like children who settle for playing in the mud puddles when the beauty and immensity of the ocean are just a few feet away.  I want out of the puddles and into the ocean. Everyday that I do not take a step closer to the edge of the cliff, the more my spirit grows discontented.  The more I risk mediocrity. God created us to take risks.  Risks however are different than a gamble.  Risks are well discerned where a gamble is reckless.  I am not afraid to risk it all - where I am paralyzed at the moment is discerning where I am meant to invest. I do not have delusions of grandeur, but I do know we are all meant for greatness.  Ephesians 3:20 "God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams!" While I have a pretty good idea of the areas I am gifted and the ways God can use me, I have not yet confirmed where my proverbial jumping off point is. So I wait and pray and prepare and serve as best I can where I am - till I jump off the cliff and find myself soaring above the horizon of mediocrity on the wings of eagles.

So I end this post the same way I began with the lyrics of RISK playing in the background of my mind.

I’d rather stand on the edge of a cliff, And hang my toes over a bit, And then jump when they dare me. Even if it scares me and I get hurt. I’d rather build my wings on the way down, Do my best not to fall to the ground and than laugh at my mistakes, ‘cause there only lessons I’ll learn I’d rather burn with desire deep in my soul, And love like a fire that’s out of control, and laugh and dance and fall and chance and kiss. I’d rather live my whole life with a sense of abandon, Squeeze every drop out, no matter what happens. And not wonder what I've missed, I’d rather risk. Well I guess I could just play it safe and forget about love, hope and faith, with my eye on the shore line, keeping my boat tied and staying home, ohhh but I’ll never discover new land by keeping my feet on the sand No I’d rather set sail and get carried away by the storm. Ohhh live, and love and laugh and dance and fall and chance and kiss - I’d rather risk 

No comments:

Post a Comment