rss
twitter

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I am Pro-Life

I did not have a chance to watch the Superbowl.  I was cheering for the saints though, the New Orleans Saints and the saints that joined me on Sunday.  Not only did I miss the Superbowl but also all the entertaining commercials.  I saw this morning for the first time, Focus on the Family's Tim Tebow Superbowl Ad.

There has been a lot of controversy over this commercial which I personally think is unwarranted  The commercial  did what I think is appropriate for Christians to do.  Present what they stand-for without attacking what they stand against. It was a pro-life message verses an an anti-choice one.



I'm Pro Life and I advocate Pro Life. God is certainly Pro Life!  He created life - "God created man in his image; in the divine image he created him; male and female he created them" ~Genesis 1:27.  He gives life - "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." ~John 10:10.  It breaks his heart when we take life from anyone, for any reasons. "Thou shall not kill" ~ Exodus 20:13 "Jesus replied, 'Do not murder,'" ~ Matthew 19:18.  This being said, I do not spend my time fighting against pro-choice. God has given us all free will. While we are commanded and advised to not do certain things, we are not prevented from doing them. God guides us and He informs us of the consequences of our choices good and bad. The consequences for not following His commands or advice, both temporally and eternally will be devastating for all involved but ultimately God still leaves the decision to the individual. While I am a strong pro-life proponent, I recognize that people have a choice both because it is legal and because God has given us free will. Make it illegal and people will still have a choice, though the consequences of an ungodly decision could be even more devastating. 

I am not God and I certainly have no desire to play God, instead, I want to point people towards Him.  I want to be an advocate for the things of God. I want to be able to build relationships and present the truth in love, advising them of the possible, probable and definite consequences of any decision so that they can make the right choice, the Godly choice. I realize that in the end the choice is theirs to make - theirs to live with, but believe this is the best chance I have to influence anyone.

My question is where are the Christians in the lives of  people before they find themselves lost in the darkness of confusion and hopelessness looking for a way out?  I suggest that more lives would be saved, more women would choose life if we spent more of our time coming alongside people, building relationships, providing them support and pointing them towards the hope they need, to believe that they can get through anything.  The Tim Tebow story is evidence of this - it was their relationship with God and trust in them that gave them the strength to make the decision they did.  I would love to know what percentage of people who stand with picket signs, fill-out petitions, and lobby government, spend as much or more time working in crisis pregnancy care centers, mentor young women struggling with self-esteem and promiscuity.  How many are interested in ministering to those who make the difficult decision amongst confusion and feelings of hopelessness and need healing?

If God will not force someone to make the right decision, what makes us believe that we could do so.  What we can do is reach out to those among us, and lead them to the Saviour.  Trusting that He will help them to make the right choice, saving perhaps not only 1 life but 2. We need to spend less time focused on fighting against the issue and more time focusing on people, building relationships, extending the same grace, mercy and love that was extended to us by our Heavenly Father. Here is what I know to be true - if people are brought to a place where they choose God - then they will choose life!

No comments:

Post a Comment