rss
twitter

Friday, February 19, 2010

Faithful in the Little Things

I want  to share a story of God's faithfulness to me over this past week, revealing the sweet little ways He works in my life. As I posted earlier, the week of Christmas, a friend and I, had about $500.00 to purchase items to make up Christmas Gift bags for the homeless of which we spent $233.00 at one particular store. Looking at my bank statement approximately a month later, I realized the money had been debited from my account but then returned on a separate transaction. This was not a bank error, or do too insufficient funds, simply a debit return.  This meant that we got the items from the store but they did not get the money.

I went on the weekend to speak to the manager.  I am not going to lie, while I had every intention of returning the money, it wasn't the easiest task.   Though I have all I need and am blessed abundantly, I am not rich. So at this point $233 meant re-budgeting personal expenditures. When I discussed the error with the manager, they were hesitant to believe me, and thought perhaps it was an error which corrected itself days later.  I assured them it was not, but they asked that I come back Tuesday with my bank statement.  I left a little confused.  I felt like I had tried but perhaps they just wanted me to keep the money, maybe this was my out - perhaps God was trying to bless me.  Tuesday rolled around and I went to the bank and had them print of a statement and off I went once again to see the manager.  I think she was shocked to see me, again it left me wondering if I shouldn't have just kept the money after all.  When I showed her my statement she said "This is very nice of you - you know" To which I replied Yes I know, cause I was keenly aware at this point how easy it would have been to keep the money, and all the ways I could have used it...lol.  I gave them the $233 they rightfully deserved and walked out of the store, my spirit took pleasure in knowing  that I had done the  honourable thing and yet if I am completely honest, I was a little sick to my stomach as well, $233 could have been put to good use in my own life...lol

The verses that came to my mind as I reflected on the events of the day came from the book of Luke, Chapter 16:10-11  "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches? And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else's property, who will give you property of your own" 

There really was only, one right thing to do, and despite anything else, I'm glad I did it.  That same day, I went to return a couple thermos' I used for our family day event.  I had paid a $75 deposit for them.  When I returned them, the manager came to the front with the envelope they had placed my deposit in and returned it to me. As I walked to my car, I realized they gave me $95.  I thought "Really God? Really?" So I walked back in, and asked what the deposit was, too which they replied $75.  I explained that's what I had given them but that they had given me $95 back, to which they replied, well that is exactly what was in the envelope, so I must have given them that.  I was almost sure that wasn't the case, as I had to take $80 from the bank machine cause I didn't have any cash on me. I questioned them again, but apparently my money alone was placed in that envelope with my name on it.  So I chalked this one up to a Thank You God.

Yesterday. I had lunch with some old colleagues of mine.  As I was getting ready to leave, I went into my car's glove compartment to get some keys I needed to return.  As I did I found a quarter, which excited me, there was also an enveloope addresed to me in the glove compartment, which I thought odd, but figured was a thank you note or something.  As I drove away, I opened the envelope and found a note dated January 31st, explaining that this was for me to spend as I wish and $50 in the envelope.  I almost broke into tears.  God always provides everything we need in perfect timing.  Giving the $233 at the beginning of the week, left me pretty much empty for the week, but then God provided.  Now apparently, I was given that envelope by hand, and in the chaos of all I was doing , without knowiung what its contents were, I placed it in the glove compartment and forgot about it.  In perfect timing God provided. 

God has faithfully provided for my every need, extravagantly and wonderfully beyond all that I could have ever imagined.  Since moving out at 17, I have always had a roof over my head, food, a job, and all my needs met.  Since becoming a Christian, I have been blessed with the opportunities and means to travel extensively to other countries to serve God. Most recently, Thailand and Cambodia, which resulted in my being extended an invitation to go to India this June as a keynote speaker at a large conference as well as a number of other speaking engagments over the duration of my time there.  This is the first time, I am in a position that I need to rely on others to support me in going.  Every other trip, Africa, Thailand/Cambodia, New Orleans, New York, Louisianna, I have paid my own way.  This time, however I am not in a position to do that.  My meals, accommodations and travel within India are covered, but I will need to cover the cost of my flight, medical insurance, visa, and spending cash.  Of course I will save what I can, but I know that it is beyond myself.  This is a huge area of growth for me, I find it difficult to depend on others, to receive from others, and have realized that perhaps part of it is pride and another part trusting in God to provide. Finding that envelope in the glove compartment was, if nothing else a huge confirmation; it was God saying to me, do not worry I will provide. I have proven myself faithful over and over again, and I will do it again. Remember - Trust!

God is so incredibly good to me - over and over and over again. I've experienced in my short christian life, so many incredible first hand accounts of God answering prayer, even as immediate as within hours. I have witnessed miracles and have been the receipient of countless blessings.  While I try my best to be faithful in the little things, admittedly failing at times, I rest assured knowing that God is faithul in all things. "Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands." ~ Deuteronomy 7:9.

No comments:

Post a Comment