rss
twitter

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

God says Go

I was asked recently if I would consider coming to India to speak at a large conference as well as at a number of other events and churches from June 12 - 20.  The opportunities to share the word of God include at least 3 churches, 2 student events and 2 public events addressing non-Christians, Christians, Buddhists and Hindus.  I was humbled and taken aback but definitely honoured.  One of the students at the college in Thailand had heard me speak, and apparently was impacted by what God had to say through me.  He and His family run a church ministry in Andhrapradesh, India.  Last year they held a conference for students  to encourage them through their studies because of the great pressure they are under and preach the Gospel to them. India puts extreme pressure on it's students through the education system with overwhelming course loads, nearly 0 time off throughout the year, and not to mention its degree of difficulty barely giving students a social, family or any sort of relational life.  Put all that together and you generate a country that has one of the greatest depression and suicide rates among its students in the World.  So the students in His area are a burden on his heart.   Around 5000 attended last years event.

I often hear people say where is God in these situations, be it India, Africa, Camodia, Haiti, or New Orleans. Why does God allow these people to suffer? Why is God not doing anything to help? and I am sure God is asking us the same thing. Why are you not doing anything to help them, I have given you everything you need, every opportunity. God is for them among those He sends. But like our salvation it requires us to choose to accept it – to say yes – to Go.  God does not reside in a temple - God lives in us! The Holy spirit does not reside in the buildings we create but in the body God has created for us. I've learned that when it comes to serving, you never have to ask God –should I do this or that – should I give this or that – God has already called us to go – to Give – to extend His love, grace and mercy to each person He brings across our path, GOD SAYS GO – UNTIL GOD SAYS NO

I have agreed to go and for the first time that I can recall, I am placing all control in the hands of God and others.  Already this is a stretching experience, requiring me to grow in Trust.

I've been thinking of putting together a book with photos and devotions from my time in Africa to sell, in order  to raise funds for this and other service trips. So I've decided that for today's post to include a devotion from my time in Africa.  If you're interested in finding out more about purchasing one of the books with proceeds going towards service trips to India, Haiti and Cambodia please feel free to contact me.

May 8th - 2007 "Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; for His mercy endures forever" "The Lord is for me among those who help me" ~ Psalm 118:29 &7

Our luggage arrived!  This is only one of the mall blessings we experienced today!  Thank you father for the privilege of playing a small part in Your great plan.  You truly are good and Your mercy endures forever!  I see joy in the faces of those who have suffered more pain than I could ever imagine. A pure unadulterated joy.  I remember experiencing moments of that joy and i know that it comes from You.  I understand how much we take for granted - we are a privileged and still selfish people.  These children, aged 2 -12 have no mom or dad or are orphaned, many are dying of AIDS, some have been raped countless times and still they sing praises to You.  One boy maybe 10 sat near me leg outstretched, revealing the rotting flesh around his ankle - white and bloody, where once thick dark healthy epidermis covered it.  As I noticed it, he noticed me and was, I think, embarrassed - covering his wound up with his hands.  I sadly reflect on the fact that these your children are covering up much deeper wounds than those of the flesh.

I pray Father that you will use Keera and I to help heal those wounds, or at least help each child recognize they are Your child - deeply loved children who need not be embarrassed, for their Father in heaven is not ashamed.  May they know Lord - believe- experience, that you are good - that they see glimpses of you through us!  May they know that you are for them among those who come to help - those who have gone before - who continue to this day and those to come.  Jeremiah 29:11 "I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."  May they know that this verse is for them!  They can bank on your promise - build a future on the hope you provide.  Continue to equip and enable "Somebody Cares" to lead this young people to their hope & future. Even when that hope and future comes in facing death knowing they will meet you face to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment