rss
twitter

Monday, March 8, 2010

Not Chasing Tails

Today, has been a day of rest, which is wonderful of course, but at the same time this often means I have lots of time to think, and yet am not engaged enough to fully process those thoughts.  So tonight, a post of unstructured, unedited, and not fully developed thoughts that have monopolized my mind.

When it comes to my faith, I want all there is.  I want everything God has for me, but at the same time I am not one to chase after Him as though he is just slightly out of reach. I don't mean that I do not spend time with Him, or seek Him through prayer, reading His word or worship, but I do not feel the NEED to chase  after Him.  I wondered if this was a bad thing, but I've come to realize that it isn't.  For me chasing after God would be akin to a dog chasing his tail. I have a deep deep knowing that God is always with me, He is a part of me.  Everything I do, is from that deep relationship. As I walk in obedience, I have all of Him that I need, for each and every particular situation.  I have a peace and I know that when I step out in faith I have His power.  Does He always feel tangibly present or close - no, not always, but for the most part I am okay with that.  Sure I would love it, if those warm fuzzy feelings, and pinnacle experiences were constant, but I think like any strong relationship that is just icing on the cake.  The song "Hooked on a Feeling" just popped in my head. His faithfulness has been proven and it is all I need and I in return remain faithful to Him.  I love because He first loved me.

As I was dwelling on this I thought of my own family, of how they raised me and gave me a firm foundation in so many ways.  I recalled how every single night before I went to bed I would kiss both my mom and dad and say "Good night, I love you, I will see you in the morning".  Every night for years, even if I had gotten in trouble, I would make sure to come down before falling asleep to say it.  I moved out at 17,  my parents no longer live close enough to tuck me in, or kiss me on the cheek.  They are not always there to physically pick me up when I stumble, but of course that does not mean they love me any less, or I them.  If I have learned anything through the years, it is that my parents, will always be there for me when I need them, even if they are not right beside me.  A friend of mine recently shared how she loved being able to go home on the weekends to see her family and friends, when her schedule and time allowed.  The thing she looked forward to most, was cuddling with her mom on the couch.  

When it comes to God, I look forward to the times when He feels so close, that I can almost feel his arms cuddling me.  However, God has provided me such a foundation of love, proving Himself faithful and true, that even when I can't tangibly feel Him, I know he is right there with me. There is a confidence and peace, that he will never leave me or forsake me.

Another thought on trying to get more of God, is that sometimes we can get into a habit of seeking the next best thing. Again, I want all that God has for me but I have already received the best thing, when He sent His son to die on the cross, when He sent His spirit to indwell me, when He gave me His word to guide my life. It can not get any better than that.  What about the abundant life, everyone talks about?  Here is what I believe to be true - the word of God.  I believe that as we follow the word of God with increasing obedience our lives will grow in abundance. The bible contains plain truth, it was not designed as a great mystery to be unlocked. Indeed good solid teaching is important. A Godly person, with the gift of teaching and/or preaching who has studied exegesis (the contextual purpose of the writing for the people at the time) and hermeneutics (God's application for us today) is of great assistance to an individual seeking to grow in their biblical understanding, especially early on.  However the important matters, the salvation issues, those items which deal with matters of living a Godly life are as clear to the layman as they are to the preacher. You do not need a bible code, or special revelation to understand the word of God, and I'd be weary of anyone who suggests this.  There is nothing that can be added to or taken away from God's word.  The things that matter are clear as day and they are what we need to focus on.

Most of us do not need a new revelation or a new fandangled teaching, we do not need to follow any special formula, or read the next great Christian book to live a more abundant life, we simply need too obey what we already know from God's word.  If we did that, our lives would change - the world would change. Sometimes we want to run, before we can walk, and as a result end up falling on our faces.  We need to learn to stand on the foundational truths found in God's word and walk in obedience.  It is then that we will find ourselves living a life of freedom.  When we are faithful with the little, it is then that we can be trusted with the greater things of God and we will not need to chase it down, God will give it to us.

To those who are reading this, I apologize that you have entered my mind mid thought. Perhaps in the future I will be able to define the thoughts more thoroughly and succinctly.  For now I will continue to press into God, through worship, prayer and reading His word, I will glorify Him as I strive to walk in obedience, loving Him and others, and I will take comfort in knowing that His faithfulness and promises are new every morning. "Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:21-23
Goodnight God - I love You - I will see you in the morning

No comments:

Post a Comment