rss
twitter

Friday, March 19, 2010

Give Him What You Got

I enjoy reading the story of God calling Moses into service for Him.  In Chapter 4 of Exodus we see Moses scared, insecure, and seemingly unqualified, at least in his own eyes to do what it was God was asking of Him.  "Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue." ~ 4:10 These personal doubts in himself nearly brought him to the point of disobedience, which would of resulted in a loss of opportunity and blessing too large to even consider.

When I read Exodus 4:2 "Then the LORD said to him, "What is that in your hand?" "A staff," he replied."" the thought occurred to me, that God can, will and does use whatever we have available, what we offer Him, to get His job done. If we simply offer what we have, regardless of how little it may seem, God will do great things with it. The theme is alluded to again in verses 4:11-12, "The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."" Again God uses what little we appear or think we have to offer, if only we are willing. This aligns with the premise in Genesis where God chose the second born, the seemingly weak to see His plans come to fruition. Along these same lines, God has equipped us each accordingly to ensure His work is carried out, provided us gifts to be used for His glory. "...Also I have given skill to all the craftsmen to make everything I have commanded you..." ~Exodus 31:6 

When I'm faced with an opportunity that seems larger than myself, beyond my qualifications and I am tempted to cower and turn away, I think of this story, and the impact that Moses was able to have when he stepped out in faith and trusted God, allowing himself to be used  to lead the people out of bondage and into the promised land. I am reminded of a saying I heard early on in ministry and believe to be true "God does not call the equipped, He equipps the called."

No comments:

Post a Comment