rss
twitter

Friday, January 1, 2010

RESOLUTIONS - For me or You?

Over the years I have made many a New Years resolution and despite my initial eagerness and determination a few months down the road I had forgotten all about them. Sure there may have been the one here and there that stuck, but for the most part it was a futile attempt in self deprivation.

So I had decided that this year, I would not make any new years resolutions, at least none that I would vocalize out loud, so as to keep the embarrassment of perceived failure a private versus public one ;) However something happened a couple days ago that changed this.

I was stopped at a red light and noticed a woman walking across the intersection to her car parked on the side of the road, hood up. I figured she probably didn't have a cell phone and had walked across to one of the businesses to place a call for help.  She opened the drivers side door and placed her purse inside, preparing I suppose for the wait.  In that moment a thought flittered through my mind, I should stop and see if everything is okay, if there is anything I can do to help.  Perhaps she would appreciate some company while she waits, or the comfort of waiting in a warm vehicle.  Then the light changed to green and I was on my way.

A missed opportunity like so many others, that I let go by out of fear of rejection or looking silly, out of selfishness, out of ignorance, out of judgment or pride.  A missed opportunity to enter into relationship.  I truly believe that we will be judged on one thing and one thing only How we love God and How we love others. Jesus answered "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind' ; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself." ~Luke 10:27. I believe that lives are changed when we enter into relationships with people.  That how we love others IS how we love God. Yet my actions that day, did not align with my beliefs.  How did I love God in that moment?  How did I love on the least of those in need? "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."; "I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me." ~ Matthew 25:40 & 45

So I decided as I continued on my drive that in 2010 I would make it my "resolution" to take every opportunity I am provided to enter into relationship with people, if even just for a moment. As I reflect on this I realize, we are given so many of those simple moments. When the thought to go knock on my neighbours door comes to mind, I will act on it.  When I see someone parked, stranded at the side of the road alone waiting for help, I will stop to see if I can be of assistance.  When I see a mom obviously overwhelmed in a grocery store with a busy child in one hand and a baby in the other, I will offer to help.  I am not sure what it will look like from day to day, but I will keep my eyes and heart open, and God helping me I will swallow my fear, pride and selfishness be brave, and who knows what simple wonders will transpire. :D

So I guess my resolution for 2010 is this "To fulfill a resolution that matters to someone besides myself"

What Resolutions could we make in 2010 that matter to someone besides ourselves, that make a difference in someone else's life?

...I am off to a wedding now, so I can almost assure you that tomorrow's entry will have to do with marriage and my being single at 34. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment