rss
twitter

Monday, January 18, 2010

The Delaware Drive

I am writing to you from the wonderful US state of Delaware.  My good friend Chester and I, began the 7 hour drive this afternoon, eager to be reunited with one of my best friend's and his lovely wife, Jennifer.  We spent our time reminiscing about simpler times and our childhoods spent biking from dawn till dusk, working hard picking stones from the field, raking grass, piling wood or collecting beer cans along side the road for some extra cash. We talked about God and things of faith, the culture of materialism and the tragedy in Haiti.  We flipped through the radio stations, finding music to sing along to and we broke up any monotony with a few shout out's of "road trip woohoo" to keep us motivated.  Roads Trips with a friend are by far my favourite thing.

I was captivated by the beautiful picturesque skylines, that lined our drive.  The mountain ranges breaking up the horizon were majestic and the fog that had settled upon them provided an almost mystical appearance.   Matthew 17:20 came to mind "I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Looking at the magnitude of the mountains before me, I was vividly assured that whether they be literal or proverbial, with God I can move mountains and overcome all things.

As we kept driving, the horizon separated into hues of purple, pink and orange, creating a patchwork quilt of colour across the sky. I could not help but reflect on the majesty of God's creation. "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."~ Genesis 1:1. I do not often enough, reflect on God's attribute of creativity but as the orange sun sunk into the mountain tops it was difficult to not be in awe. "O Lord, how manifold are your works! In wisdom have you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures." ~Psalm 104:24

We left Kingston on a full tank of Gas, and when we reached the Philadelphia area, having driven 631km, we decided to stop for gas.  The gas light had not come on yet, so I was pleased to learn that my Pontiac Sunfire can go at least 720 highway kilometers on a tank of gas!  Jenn wanted us to call her as we got closer, so she could ensure supper was ready when we arrived (she is a great cook). We had tried to call on my cell but it would not work, so we figured that the gas station would probably have a pay phone.   It didn't, but the wonderful man who managed the shop generously offered Chester his cell phone to use.  As we continued our drive, Chester commented on how refreshing it was to come across someone who still maintained a trustful nature, generous and kind.  I agreed, adding that, in the midst of a society that appears at times cold, calloused and self-absorbed, it is those special moments that restore my faith in humanity. "For the kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but of living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit" ~ Romans 14:7

Tomorrow...insights from Martin Luther King Jr. - in celebration of his life because today is his birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment