rss
twitter

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Learn How They Hear

"Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.; To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings." ~1 Corinthians 19:9, 22-23

I read the following devotion tonight and was reminded of something Louis Giglio shared in his DVD "Fruitcake and Ice cream"[ I highly recommend everyone, christian or otherwise watch this video ].  Louis explained how the apostle Paul, wanted to go out of his mind for God, to just go crazy from the overwhelming love he had for God, but instead, he stayed in His right-mind.  He did this in order that he might be able to reach some without potentially turning them off or confusing them.  In doing this, he was not denying His passion for Christ, simply reserving His demonstrative expression, until such a time that those he was seeking to minister to would come to know God and the joy of the Lord for themselves and would then join Him in the celebration of the Saviour - going out of their mind together for God.

The following is an amended excerpt from the book "Spiritual Disciplines Devotional" by Valerie E. Hess.
 
When I discovered the different theories of personality types, it changed the way  I communicated with people.  I learned that some people respond well to strong, forthright communication, even if they disagree with you.  Others need to have a bit of chit-chat and laughter before you can talk to them about more serious things.  Some people are more concerned about their safety (emotional as well as physical) in particular situations.

In the verse above, Saint Paul talks about using language that people with differing worldview can relate to so that the Gospel of Jesus Christ mat get a fair hearing in all places.  Those of  you who have raised or taught children know that we need to speak differently to each child, even about the same issue.

Part of the discipline of service is communicating well.  And part of communicating well is knowing who your audience is.  Sometimes we can be a hindrance to others and to their reception of the gospel if we do not take the time to learn how they hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment